Monday, May 10, 2010

Ukraine Day #3


Day #3 Sunday

Sunday we split up into our 3 groups. My team went to a little church in a small/poor community. The guy who translated for me the night before, attended this church along with they man from Kazastan who played the song for us.
The churches in Ukraine are ran a little differently then ours, first off they are a little more conservative. Instead of having one sermon they have 3, 20min. sermons with singing to break them up.

Tim Moroz (group leader) spoke for a one of the messages. We sang 3 or 4 songs, only 2 of which we had practiced for. Then a couple of us gave testimonies.

They had a lot of artwork in the room, one of the members of the church painted all the walls.

For most churches it was the day to have Communion. In Ukraine they pass around a basket of chunks of bread, then pass around a golden cup of wine. I have never had wine before, I took a small sip, it burned my throat all the way down.

After the service, we gathered to eat lunch. There was some very interesting food. However nothing looked to gross, or even tasted to bad. I most definitely enjoyed every meal, nothing was to different then the states.





The Church Family and Us


"Born Again to a Living Hope"


After Church we went to a military base, where the Ukrainian B.I. students performed "Born Again To A Living Hope". A play about two people who got became believers, then went to the W.O.LB.I. but died of aids a few years after school. Nothing was translated for us, to prevent any extra distractions for the soldiers.

After the play ended, many of us and the Ukrainian students mingled with the soldiers. Some of us paired with translators to help us speak with them.

Right after the play we drove out to Kiev, to do some sight seeing. I don't know much about any of the monuments or history, so I will just post up some photos.















There was a lot of sick places to skate in Kyiv, to bad I didn't bring my board this day.












There was many old homeless ladies on their knees with a picture of marry next to their money jar.




We went to this cool Ukrainian restaurant, with lots of different soups, meats and deserts, that aren't normal to the US. None of the employees could speak any english. It made it very hard asking for food, and saying what is that?







After a point in time on the weekends, they block off the main strip of the road for people to walk on. Also they park the cars right on the side walks in the city.

    

Look at the nice brick quarter ramp around the bottom of that Globe statue. Oh how badly I wish I could have skated this.



The Next 3 photos where taken from the Van while driving down the road on the way home.








No comments:

Post a Comment